Connect with us

NEWS

South Sudan forfeit 2021 FIFA Arab Cup match after positive COVID-19 tests

Published

on

The Bright Star of South Sudan have forfeited their match against Jordan in the FIFA Arab Cup after some members of their tesm tested positive to COVD-19 in Doha, Qatar.

South Sudan were meant to face Jordan in the third match of the preliminary round of the FIFA Arab Cup on Monday evening.

But FIFA today that South Sudan has forfeited the match and Jordan progress to the group stage of the tournament which will run November 30th to December 18th inn Qatar.

“Following the confirmation of COVID-19 cases among the South Sudan delegation, the FIFA Bureau for Men’s Senior Tournaments has declared the match scheduled to take place this evening against Jordan as part of the FIFA Arab Cup qualifiers a forfeit with a 3-0 win to Jordan. The decision is based on article 5.6 of the competition regulations (“force majeure”) and takes into consideration the need to protect the health of the players and everyone involved in the tournament,” said FIFA.

FIFA said protecting the health and safety of everyone involved in the FIFA Arab Cup remains a top priority with a comprehensive programme based on the WHO’s risk-based approach being implemented in coordination with the host country. The world football governing body said a total of 19 team members of South Sudan are now under isolation.

“FIFA and the local organisers deeply regret this unfortunate situation and wish the delegates of South Sudan a speedy recovery,” added FIFA.

Djibouti, the other CECAFA member in the competition will face Lebanon on June 23rd in the another preliminary round match in Doha. Sudan ejected Libya 1-0, while Oman stopped Somalia 2-1 in the first two matches so far played.

AFCON U-17

Somalia will fight back after defeat in U-17 AFCON first match – Abdulkhadar

Published

on

By

The head coach of Somalia’s U-17 team Mohamed Abdulkhadir Sheikhdon has promised that his team will continue fighting on in the remaining matches at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2025.

Somalia suffered a 3 -0 defeat to Tunisia in their opening Group C match played at the Ben M’Hamed El Abdi Stadium, El Jadida in Morocco on Tuesday night.

But Sheikhdon has made it clear that most of his players were not used to the big stage in the opening match, but will re-group and improve in the next matches.

“We are determined to keep fighting in the remaining two Group matches because we know what we should do to be able to progress in the competition,” added the Somalia coach.

Somalia will next face The Gambia on April 4th in their second Group C match. The Gambia also suffered a 1-0 defeat to reigning champions Senegal in their opening match.

In Group A the other teams from the CECAFA Zone Uganda and Tanzania have all suffered defeats. Uganda Cubs suffered a 5-0 loss to hosts Morocco, while Tanzania lost 4-1 to Zambia.

The top 10 teams at the U-17 AFCON will ends on April 19th will qualify for the 2025 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar as the CAF representatives.

Continue Reading

AFCON U-17

Tanzania suffer defeat in TotalEnergies CAF U-17 AFCON opening tie

Published

on

By

Tanzania have suffered a 4-1 defeat to Zambia in their first Group A match at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Morocco.

After a defensive lapse by the Tanzanian team Jonathan Kalimina gave the Junior Chipolopolo the lead after only 8 minutes at the El Bachir Stadium, Mohammedia.

Captained by Kassim Juma Tanzania tried to re-organise  themselves and started to create some chances up-front through Jabiri Farijala and Juma Abushiri.

But before the interval Abel Nyirongo made it 2-0 for Zambia after picking a good cross from Nthasilwe Malupande.

After the break Tanzania returned charged and determined to get some goals as they had Juma Sagwe’s shot saved.

But the highly passing Zambian side continued to push forward and Mike Mutale netted their third goal after 79 minutes. Sagwe finally pulled a goal back for Tanzania with a well-timed header that beat Zambia’s goalkeeper Rogers Simumba.

Substitute Gabriel Phiri increased Zambia’s lead with the clock ticking away.

Tanzania will return to action on Thursday with a match against fellow CECAFA side Uganda. The Uganda Cubs lost their opening Group A match 5-0 to hosts Morocco on Sunday night.

Continue Reading

CAF Champions League

Sudan’s Al Hilal ready for Al Ahly test in Champions League quarter final

Published

on

By

Sudan giants Al Hilal are set to face Egypt’s Al Ahly in the first leg of the 2024/2025 TotalEnergies CAF Champions League at the Cairo International Stadium on Tuesday night.

Florent Ibenge, the Al Hilal coach has made it clear that the first leg will be very important because it sets the ground for the return leg.

“We know that Al Ahly are a big team that has won several trophies on the continent, but we have tactically prepared and know how we must handle the match. This round is won over two legs and that is what we have prepared for,” says Ibenge.

Although Al Hilal have been disadvantaged to play all their home matches away from Khartoum because of the political instability back in Sudan, they have showed stability and only lost two matches in all 10 matches they have played in the initial stages going into the quarter final.

Al Hilal, the only team in the CECAFA Zone playing in the quarter final stage will look to skipper Muhamed Abdelrahman to lead the team in hunt for goals together with Adam Coulibaly and Burundian International Jean Claude Girumugisha.

To reach the quarter final stage Al Hilal ejected Al Ahly Benghazi (Libya) and San Pedro (Ivory Coast) in the first and second rounds respectively. They went on to top Group A that MC Alger (Algeria), Young Africans SC (Tanzania) and DR Congo’s TP Mazembe.

The other quarter final matches to be played on Tuesday include Pyramids facing AS FAR, Mamelodi Sundowns battling against Esperance de Tunis, and MC Alger taking on Orlando Pirates.

Continue Reading

AFCON U-17

Rude welcome for Uganda Cubs in TotalEnergies CAF U-17 AFCON 2025

Published

on

By

Uganda Cubs made a poor start in the TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2025 falling 5-0 to hosts in a Group A match that ended on Sunday night.

Within the early 10 minutes the home side scored two goals through Ilies Belmoktar and Driss at the El Bachir Stadium, Mohammedia.

The AS Monaco striker punished the flat footed Ugandan defence after only 3 minutes, and Belmokhtar made it 2-0 off a corner five minutes later.

The CECAFA U-17 reigning champions tried to settle down, but failed to match Morocco’s midfield department. Ziyad Baha also got his name on the score sheet after 24 minutes after converting a penalty.

Uganda later conceded another after 32 minutes with Belmokhtar placing the ball between the legs of past goalkeeper Ashraf Lukyamuzi to make it 4-0.

After the interval Uganda made some changes, but Ziyad Baha netted his second of the night after 72 minutes. The Cubs tried to push forward, but failed to find the goals.

Action shifts to CECAFA’s second representatives Tanzania who face Zambia in another Group A match on Monday at the El Bachir Stadium, Mohammedia. On Tuesday Somalia will kick start their Group C campaign with a match against Tunisia.

The top 10 teams at the U-17 AFCON will ends on April 19th will qualify for the 2025 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar as the CAF representatives.

Continue Reading

CECAFA SECRETARIAT

Kandanda House, FIFA Goal Project

Kasarani, Nairobi Kenya.

E: info@cecafaonline.com

Tel: +254 20 608424

Trending