NEWS
South Sudan forfeit 2021 FIFA Arab Cup match after positive COVID-19 tests

The Bright Star of South Sudan have forfeited their match against Jordan in the FIFA Arab Cup after some members of their tesm tested positive to COVD-19 in Doha, Qatar.
South Sudan were meant to face Jordan in the third match of the preliminary round of the FIFA Arab Cup on Monday evening.
But FIFA today that South Sudan has forfeited the match and Jordan progress to the group stage of the tournament which will run November 30th to December 18th inn Qatar.
“Following the confirmation of COVID-19 cases among the South Sudan delegation, the FIFA Bureau for Men’s Senior Tournaments has declared the match scheduled to take place this evening against Jordan as part of the FIFA Arab Cup qualifiers a forfeit with a 3-0 win to Jordan. The decision is based on article 5.6 of the competition regulations (“force majeure”) and takes into consideration the need to protect the health of the players and everyone involved in the tournament,” said FIFA.
FIFA said protecting the health and safety of everyone involved in the FIFA Arab Cup remains a top priority with a comprehensive programme based on the WHO’s risk-based approach being implemented in coordination with the host country. The world football governing body said a total of 19 team members of South Sudan are now under isolation.
“FIFA and the local organisers deeply regret this unfortunate situation and wish the delegates of South Sudan a speedy recovery,” added FIFA.
Djibouti, the other CECAFA member in the competition will face Lebanon on June 23rd in the another preliminary round match in Doha. Sudan ejected Libya 1-0, while Oman stopped Somalia 2-1 in the first two matches so far played.
CAF Champions League
We must be at our best in return leg against Al Ahly – Coach Florent Ibenge

The head coach of Al Hilal, Florent Ibenge has said his team must be at it’s best when they host Al Ahly in the return leg in the quarter final stage of the TotalEnergies CAF Champions League.
Ibenge’s team lost the first leg 1-0 in a match played at the Cairo International Stadium on Tuesday.
But Ibenge has made it clear they must be at their best and also use home advantage when they host Al Ahly on Tuesday at the Cheikha Ould Boïdiya Stadium, Nouakchott in Mauritania.
“We know Al Ahly is a good team and we now know what to do in the return leg. It will not be an easy match, but we need to be sharper at the front and also defend with a lot of caution,” added the experienced coach.
The Sudan Premier League giants who have had to play in the Mauritanian Premier League in the 2024/2025 season because of the political instability back home will count on the support in Nouakchott.
Al Hilal also boost of a fairly good record playing in Nouakchott winning against San Pedro (Ivory Coast) in the second round, against TP Mazembe and drawing against MC Alger in the Group stage, and suffering a 1-0 defeat to Tanzania’s Young Africans SC.
Al Hilal are the only team from the CECAFA Zone playing at the quarter final stage of the 2024/2025 TotalEnergies CAF Champions League.
CAF Confederation Cup
Simba SC fail Al Masry first leg test in TotalEnergies CAF Confederation Cup quarter final

Tanzania Premier League side Simba SC have suffered a 2-0 defeat away to Al Masry in the first leg of the TotalEnergies CAf Confederation Cup quarter final.
Abderrahim Deghmoum gave the Egyptian side the lead after 16 minutes at the New Suez Stadium on Wednesday evening.
The striker unleashed a hard shot that caught that the Simba SC goalkeeper Moussa Camara failed to time well.
Simba SC quickly reorganized and attacked with Leonel Ateba and Jean Charles Ahoua’s efforts stopped by Al Masry’s goalkeeper Mahmoud Gad.
After recess Simba SC again came all out to try and push forward with caution as the Al Masry side was quick in the counter attacks. Again Al Masry’s goalkeeper saved Elie Mpanzu’s hard shot after 49 minutes.
Defender Shomari Kapombe also had his effort parried back by the Al Masry goalkeeper. However, the hosts scored a second goal through substitute John Okoye as the clock ticked away to the end of the match.
Fadlu Davids, the Simba SC head coach said that although they failed to utilize the chances created at goal, they will go back and prepare for the return leg. “The quarter final is decided over two legs and now we must be ready for the home match,” added the coach.
Simba SC will have to be at their best when they host Al Masry in the return leg on April 9th, 2025 at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium in Dar es Salaam.
AFCON U-17
Somalia will fight back after defeat in U-17 AFCON first match – Abdulkhadar

The head coach of Somalia’s U-17 team Mohamed Abdulkhadir Sheikhdon has promised that his team will continue fighting on in the remaining matches at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2025.
Somalia suffered a 3 -0 defeat to Tunisia in their opening Group C match played at the Ben M’Hamed El Abdi Stadium, El Jadida in Morocco on Tuesday night.
But Sheikhdon has made it clear that most of his players were not used to the big stage in the opening match, but will re-group and improve in the next matches.
“We are determined to keep fighting in the remaining two Group matches because we know what we should do to be able to progress in the competition,” added the Somalia coach.
Somalia will next face The Gambia on April 4th in their second Group C match. The Gambia also suffered a 1-0 defeat to reigning champions Senegal in their opening match.
In Group A the other teams from the CECAFA Zone Uganda and Tanzania have all suffered defeats. Uganda Cubs suffered a 5-0 loss to hosts Morocco, while Tanzania lost 4-1 to Zambia.
The top 10 teams at the U-17 AFCON which ends on April 19th will qualify for the 2025 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar as the CAF representatives.
AFCON U-17
Tanzania suffer defeat in TotalEnergies CAF U-17 AFCON opening tie

Tanzania have suffered a 4-1 defeat to Zambia in their first Group A match at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Morocco.
After a defensive lapse by the Tanzanian team Jonathan Kalimina gave the Junior Chipolopolo the lead after only 8 minutes at the El Bachir Stadium, Mohammedia.
Captained by Kassim Juma Tanzania tried to re-organise themselves and started to create some chances up-front through Jabiri Farijala and Juma Abushiri.
But before the interval Abel Nyirongo made it 2-0 for Zambia after picking a good cross from Nthasilwe Malupande.
After the break Tanzania returned charged and determined to get some goals as they had Juma Sagwe’s shot saved.
But the highly passing Zambian side continued to push forward and Mike Mutale netted their third goal after 79 minutes. Sagwe finally pulled a goal back for Tanzania with a well-timed header that beat Zambia’s goalkeeper Rogers Simumba.
Substitute Gabriel Phiri increased Zambia’s lead with the clock ticking away.
Tanzania will return to action on Thursday with a match against fellow CECAFA side Uganda. The Uganda Cubs lost their opening Group A match 5-0 to hosts Morocco on Sunday night.
-
CECAFA10 years ago
Botswana beats Kenya in African Youth Championships
-
Top stories5 years ago
We need to win the first match against Coronavirus – Infantino
-
CAF African Nations Championship7 months ago
African Nations Championship 2025 dates announced
-
NEWS4 years ago
FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup qualifiers: Eritrea ejects Djibouti 6-1 on aggregate
-
CECAFA6 years ago
Cecafa mourns former chairman Tesfaye Ghebreyesus
-
NEWS4 years ago
Young Africans SC face Nyasa Big Bullets in CECAFA Kagame Cup kick-off
-
CECAFA U-18 Boys Championship1 year ago
Semi-final stage set for CECAFA U-18 Championship 2023
-
CAF Champions League2 years ago
Tanzania’s Simba Sports Club exit CAF Champions League at quarter final stage