Connect with us

CECAFA

Mustafa’s maiden goal sends Gor Mahia FC to Kagame Cup semis

Published

on

Burundian Francis Mustafa scored the winner as Gor Mahia secured their place in the semi-finals of the Cecafa Kagame Cup after coming from behind to beat Ugandan champions Vipers 2-1 in a tightly contested quarterfinal match here at National stadium on Sunday.

Tadeo Lwanga broke the deadlock at the quarter-hour mark with a spectacular 25-yarder curling shot that caught Boniface Oluoch flat foot in the Gor goal, before Jacques Tuyisenge levelled for K’Ogalo in the 47th minute.

Mustafa, acquired from Rwandese side Kiyovu Sports last month, tapped home the 55th goal of this year’s edition of the competition 17 minutes to full time, after Vipers custodian Bashir Sekagya had parried Tuyisenge’s shot.

Gor faces the winner of the last eight clash between defending champions and home side Azam and Rwanda’s Rayon Sports, who faceoff on Monday afternoon, in the first semi-final set for Wednesday.

“Credit to my players they dominated the whole game, fought hard despite the fatigue, but just as I asked them before the match to show character, they came in and did just that,” an elated Gor coach Dylan Kerr told Nation Sport after the match.

Kerr started with George “Blackberry” Odhiambo and Francis Mustafa in place of Bernard Ondiek and Ephrem Guikan in the two changes made from the team that edged Djibouti side AS Ports 2-0 on Thursday.

Gor Mahia forward George Odhiambo (right) charges past Vipers' Ibrahim Kiyemba during their Cecafa Kagame Cup quarter-final match at National Stadium, Dar es Salaam on July 8, 2018. PHOTO VINCENT OPIYO |

Gor Mahia forward George Odhiambo (right) charges past Vipers’ Ibrahim Kiyemba during their Cecafa Kagame Cup quarter-final match at National Stadium, Dar es Salaam on July 8, 2018. PHOTO VINCENT OPIYO |NATION MEDIA GROUP

Mustafa had a first start half to forget for his new club after wasting five clear scoring chances.

Godfrey Walusimbi sent in a delightful cross from the left but the Burundian’s feeble shot was picked by Bashir Sekagya in Vipers goal and in the 34th minute, he was put through on goal by Innocent Wafula, but failed to beat Sekagya in a one-on-one situation.

Gor were dealt an injury blow two minutes to the breather after Ernest Wendo was stretchered off with Francis Kahata replacing him.

Gor were rewarded for their numerous attack four minutes after the restart as Jacques Tuyisenge deflected home Francis Mustafa’s shot towards goal after being fed by Innocent Wafula from the right flank.

Mustafa’s 64th minute goal was disallowed for offside and first assistant referee Salim Mkono coming under sharp criticism.

Gor continued with the onslaught that yielded the winner after Tuyisenge’s shot was parried by Sekagya with an unmarked Mustafa slotting home from close range.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CECAFA

Kenya unveil McCarthy as Harambee Stars head coach

Published

on

By

The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) has today unveiled Benni McCarthy as the new national team head coach.

The unveiling of the new coach attended by several officials from FKF, government, sponsors and legends took place this afternoon at the Serena Hotel in Nairobi.

McCarthy who signed a two-year contract will work alongside fellow South Africans Vasilli Manausakis (Assistant coach), Moeneeb Josephs (goalkeepers coach) and Pilela Maposa (Performance Analyst) takes over from Francis Kimanzi who has been the Harambee Stars coach on an interim basis.

The new coach will go straight to work with his first games in charge being in the FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers against Gabon and Gambia this month.

“I am delighted to be here and can’t wait to get started to make Kenya one of the best Football teams,” said the former Bafana Bafana striker who was also joint top scorer at the 1998 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) with Egypt’s Hossam Hassan.

He also made it clear that he wants to take all the experience he has garnered working in Europe and in South Africa and put it into practice to make the Kenyan team very competitive and strong. “With the right leaders, right coaches and right work ethics I don’t think that there is anything that can stop us from succeeding with the Kenyan national team,” added McCarthy.

Hussein Mohammed, the FKF President said although many coaches applied for the job, they picked on McCarthy because he has the exposure in Europe and Africa and has the fire in the belly, and the passion that Kenya needs.

“Given his exposure and of course with all the support from the stakeholders, McCarthy will take the Kenyan team far,” added the FKF President who was flanked by his Vice President McDonald Mariga.

McCarthy who won the UEFA Champions League with Porto in 2004 as a player has managed South African sides Cape Town City and AmaZulu FC. He served as an assistant coach at Sint Truiden in Belgium, and was first-team coach in-charge of strikers at Manchester United under Dutch manager Erik Ten Hag.

Continue Reading

CECAFA

CECAFA Opens bidding process for 2025 competitions

Published

on

By

The Council of East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) has officially opened the bidding process for their competitions for the 2025 calendar.

The bidding process was officially opened by CECAFA on February 4th with the deadline of submission being February 21st, 2025.

Yusuf Mossi, the CECAFA Competitions Director made it clear in the document that any Member Association that will be interested in hosting any tournament must meet all requirements in the bidding process.

“In order to be considered to host any of the competitions, kindly compete the attached bid documents clearly indicating which competition and submit to CECAFA by February 21st, 2025,” said part of the document.

The bid includes expression of interest, host bid questionnaire and the Budget document. CECAFA will announce the host Member Associations of the various competitions on March 3rd, 2025.

The seven tournaments lined up for the 2025 calendar include; CECAFA Beach Soccer Championship to take place in Kilifi County in Kenya, CECAFA Senior Women’s Challenge Cup, CECAFA Senior men’s Challenge Cup, Dar Port Kagame Cup in Tanzania, CAF Women’s Champions League qualifiers, CECAFA U-17 Boys Championship and CAF African Schools Football Championship.

Continue Reading

CECAFA

CECAFA line-up seven tournaments for 2025 calendar

Published

on

By

The CECAFA Ordinary Assembly has approved seven tournaments to be staged by the Zone in the 2025 calendar.

During the non-elective Ordinary General Assembly held at the Imperial Plaza Hotel in Juba, South Sudan on Wednesday, the delegates approved the five competitions.

Auka John Gecheo who presented the competitions report on behalf of the chairman of the Committee Isayas Jira Bosho, pointed out that the tournaments have been planned after considering the different CAF and FIFA tournaments on the International calendar.

The Zonal body agreed to have the inaugural CECAFA Beach Soccer Competition in Kenya , while the CECAFA Senior Women’s Challenge and the CECAFA Senior Men’s Challenge Cup have also been lined up.

The Dar Port Kagame Cup 2025 will be expected to take place August 31st to September 14th, and the CAF Women’s Champions League, CECAFA qualifiers. The Member Association the hosts the CECAFA U-17 Boys Championship will also be expected to host the CAF African Schools Football Championship qualifiers.

However, Member Associations have been asked to apply to host any of the tournaments that have been planned to run in the 2025 calendar.

Continue Reading

AFCON U-20 QUALIFIERS

Ethiopia edge Djibouti in build-up ahead of AFCON U-20 qualifiers

Published

on

By

Ethiopia’s U-20 side defeated Djibouti 2-0 in an international friendly match played at the Abebe Bikila Stadium on Monday.

The two teams used the match to prepare ahead of the TotalEnergies CAF Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) U-20 CECAFA qualifiers slated for October 6-20th in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Nathael Solomon gave the hosts the lead after 43 minutes, and Degfie Alemu made it 2-0 three minutes into the second half.

The Djibouti team tried to push ahead to find some goal but failed to beat the Ethiopian defending line.

The Zonal qualifiers will kick start with a Group A match between Sudan and Djibouti at the Azam Complex, while hosts Tanzania will battle Kenya in a Group A match at the KMC Stadium the same day.

The 2022 runners-up South Sudan will open their Group B campaign against Burundi at the KMC Stadium, while reigning champions Uganda face Ethiopia in a match to be played at the Azam Complex all on October 7th. Tanzania will return to action on October 8th against Djibouti, the same day Sudan face Rwanda.

Nine teams will participate in the tournament with the best two teams qualifying to represent the Zone at the TotalEnergies Africa Cup of Nations U-20 2025.

Group A: Tanzania, Sudan, Rwanda, Djibouti, Kenya

Group B: Uganda, South Sudan, Burundi, Ethiopia

Continue Reading

CECAFA SECRETARIAT

Kandanda House, FIFA Goal Project

Kasarani, Nairobi Kenya.

E: info@cecafaonline.com

Tel: +254 20 608424

Trending