Connect with us

NEWS

Dr. Motsepe attends CECAFA Assembly in Arusha

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) President Dr. Patrice Motsepe has called for more partnerships with government and the private sector if football is to develop faster in the continent.

Dr. Motsepe who was accompanied by the Secretary General Veron Mosengo-Omba and other CAF officials said this on Monday evening while attending CECAFA’s Extra Ordinary Assembly held at the Gran Melia Hotel Ballroom A in Arusha.

“We need help of governments and the private sector so that we work together to be able to make better progress and also improve infrastructure in several of the countries in Africa,” added the CAF President. He made it clear that there is no way we can develop football well in Africa when many national teams cannot play at home because their stadiums donot compl to the CAF and FIFA set standards.

Wallace Karia, the CECAFA President thanked Dr. Motsepe for making time to attend the CECAFA Extra Ordinary Assembly on the sidelines of the 44th CAF Ordinary General Assembly slated for August 10th.

Later the CECAFA members received the financial reports for the years (2019, 2020, 2021) and a proposal on the amendments of the CECAFA statutes.

The members who were represented included Uganda, Zanzibar, Tanzania, South Sudan, Burundi, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Rwanda. Representatives from Sudan, Djibouti and Somalia failed to make it on time because of delayed flights, while Kenya is serving a FIFA suspension.

AFCON U-17

Uganda humbles 10-man Tanzania to pick first win in U-17 AFCON

Published

on

By

Uganda Cubs have stopped a 10-man Tanzania 3-0 in their second Group B match at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Morocco.

Smarting from a big 5-0 defeat to hosts Morocco, the Cubs were a different side at the El Bachir Stadium, Mohammedia.

The two teams missed some good scoring chances in the first half that ended goalless. Although Tanzania dominated play in the first half, they had 4 shots at goal against Uganda’s 10.

After recess Simon Wanyama gave Uganda the lead after 64 minutes. The goal came ten minutes after Tanzania’s Hussein Ally Mbegu had been sent-off by the referee from Lominson Todihajaniaina.

The Ugandan team continued to push forward and made it 2-0 after 85 minutes when Richard Okello found space and shot past Tanzania’s goalkeeper Abrahman Nassoro.

In the second minute of added time Uganda earned a penalty, and James Bogere made no mistake sending the Tanzanian goalkeeper the wrong way to make it 3-0.

Brian Ssenyondo, the Uganda Cubs coach said he was happy with the way his team responded after they lost the opening match to Morocco. “We have been highly attacking today and now we must go back and prepare for the match against Zambia,” added Ssenyondo.

The win brightens Uganda Cubs’ chances of qualifying for the FIFA U-17 World Cup. On Friday Somalia who lost the opening match 3-0 to Tunisia will return to action in a Group C match against The Gambia.

The top 10 teams at the U-17 AFCON will qualify for the 2025 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar as the CAF representatives.

Continue Reading

CAF Champions League

We must be at our best in return leg against Al Ahly – Coach Florent Ibenge

Published

on

By

The head coach of Al Hilal, Florent Ibenge has said his team must be at it’s best when they host Al Ahly in the return leg in the quarter final stage of the TotalEnergies CAF Champions League.

Ibenge’s team lost the first leg 1-0 in a match played at the Cairo International Stadium on Tuesday.

But Ibenge has made it clear they must be at their best and also use home advantage when they host Al Ahly on Tuesday at the Cheikha Ould Boïdiya Stadium, Nouakchott in Mauritania.

“We know Al Ahly is a good team and we now know what to do in the return leg. It will not be an easy match, but we need to be sharper at the front and also defend with a lot of caution,” added the experienced coach.

The Sudan Premier League giants who have had to play in the Mauritanian Premier League in the 2024/2025 season because of the political instability back home will count on the support in Nouakchott.

Al Hilal also boost of a fairly good record playing in Nouakchott winning against San Pedro (Ivory Coast) in the second round, against TP Mazembe and drawing against MC Alger in the Group stage, and suffering a 1-0 defeat to Tanzania’s Young Africans SC.

Al Hilal are the only team from the CECAFA Zone playing at the quarter final stage of the 2024/2025 TotalEnergies CAF Champions League.

Continue Reading

CAF Confederation Cup

Simba SC fail Al Masry first leg test in TotalEnergies CAF Confederation Cup quarter final

Published

on

By

Tanzania Premier League side Simba SC have suffered a 2-0 defeat away to Al Masry in the first leg of the TotalEnergies CAf Confederation Cup quarter final.

Abderrahim Deghmoum gave the Egyptian side the lead after 16 minutes at the New Suez Stadium on Wednesday evening.

The striker unleashed a hard shot that caught that the Simba SC goalkeeper Moussa Camara failed to time well.

Simba SC quickly reorganized and attacked with Leonel Ateba and Jean Charles Ahoua’s efforts stopped by Al Masry’s goalkeeper Mahmoud Gad.

After recess Simba SC again came all out to try and push forward with caution as the Al Masry side was quick in the counter attacks. Again Al Masry’s goalkeeper saved Elie Mpanzu’s hard shot after 49 minutes.

Defender Shomari Kapombe also had his effort parried back by the Al Masry goalkeeper. However, the hosts scored a second goal through substitute John Okoye as the clock ticked away to the end of the match.

Fadlu Davids, the Simba SC head coach said that although they failed to utilize the chances created at goal, they will go back and prepare for the return leg. “The quarter final is decided over two legs and now we must be ready for the home match,” added the coach.

Simba SC will have to be at their best when they host Al Masry in the return leg on April 9th, 2025 at the Benjamin Mkapa Stadium in Dar es Salaam.

Continue Reading

AFCON U-17

Somalia will fight back after defeat in U-17 AFCON first match – Abdulkhadar

Published

on

By

The head coach of Somalia’s U-17 team Mohamed Abdulkhadir Sheikhdon has promised that his team will continue fighting on in the remaining matches at the on-going TotalEnergies CAF U-17 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2025.

Somalia suffered a 3 -0 defeat to Tunisia in their opening Group C match played at the Ben M’Hamed El Abdi Stadium, El Jadida in Morocco on Tuesday night.

But Sheikhdon has made it clear that most of his players were not used to the big stage in the opening match, but will re-group and improve in the next matches.

“We are determined to keep fighting in the remaining two Group matches because we know what we should do to be able to progress in the competition,” added the Somalia coach.

Somalia will next face The Gambia on April 4th in their second Group C match. The Gambia also suffered a 1-0 defeat to reigning champions Senegal in their opening match.

In Group A the other teams from the CECAFA Zone Uganda and Tanzania have all suffered defeats. Uganda Cubs suffered a 5-0 loss to hosts Morocco, while Tanzania lost 4-1 to Zambia.

The top 10 teams at the U-17 AFCON which ends on April 19th will qualify for the 2025 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar as the CAF representatives.

Continue Reading

CECAFA SECRETARIAT

Kandanda House, FIFA Goal Project

Kasarani, Nairobi Kenya.

E: info@cecafaonline.com

Tel: +254 20 608424

Trending